Current Student FAQs

How Do I Place A Work Order?

From time to time, items break in residence hall rooms. From burned out light bulbs and squeaky door hinges to dripping faucets and faulty HVAC units, VCU Residential Life & Housing and Facilities Management are dedicated to quickly solving your issue so you can get back to living your normal day to day life. You can alert Maintenance to any issues in your residence hall space by following the below instructions:

  • LOGIN to https://quikfm.vcu.edu/
  • Select "For students" to proceed. Sign in using your eID and password
  • Click on "New Work Order"
  • Fill in all appropriate information listed in the pop up box, making sure that you include your room number and letter and the exact location and purpose of the maintenance request, in the problem details text box
  • Once complete click "Submit Order." A pop up should appear with confirmation of your request
  • If you have multiple maintenance issues of different types please separate them into different requests. Electrical issues and plumbing issues should be submitted in different work order requests
What Is A Maintenance Emergency?

When a repair is needed immediately to protect the safety of students or the facility, call (804) 828-9444 to report the issue and receive immediate assistance. Emergencies may include active leaks or water running where it shouldn’t; climate control issues, particularly on very hot or very cold days/nights; power outages; broken keys/locks; or broken windows. 

What Do I Do If The Outlet(S) Beside My Sink Aren’t Working?

If the GCFI outlet near the sink is not working, it has likely surged and needs to be reset. You can reset the outlet by pressing the “Reset” button at the center of the outlet. Note: If the cause of the surge has not been corrected, the outlet will stop working again. You will need to unplug the appliances or remove the water causing the surge before continuing.

What’s The Deal With Wireless Printers?

VCU has an extensive wireless network that uses particular frequencies and channels to function. Unfortunately, most wireless printers broadcast the same frequencies and channels, and disrupt our signal when their wireless function is turned on. If you have a printer that has wireless capabilities, please turn the printer's wifi off. Wireless printers, when the wifi is enabled, will cause mobile devices such as your laptop and cellphone to disconnect from VCU's wireless network. The printer's signal can also travel through floors and walls and cause your neighbors' devices to lose their wireless connections as well. If you are not sure how to turn off your printer's wireless signal, please call ResNet Student Support for assistance at (804) 828-8943.


Fire/Safety inspections are performed in all residence halls during the Fall and Spring semesters by the Virginia State Fire Marshal’s Office and the VCU Office of Environmental Health & Safety. Resident rooms are inspected to ensure compliance of State Fire Code, as well as compliance with VCU and Residential Life & Housing (RLH) Fire/Safety policies, for the safety of all residents living on campus. During each visit, necessary corrections are made by Fire officials and RLH staff, including confiscation of prohibited Fire/Safety items. Residents found in violation of the Fire/Safety policies may face judicial action. A full list of prohibited items can be found in the Residential Life and Housing Policies.

Pest Control

General pest control “cleanouts” are performed twice annually by a licensed pest control contractor, during summer and winter breaks. The cleanout involves spraying a general pest control agent in each living space in each residence hall as a preventative measure, as well as inspecting each space for signs of pests so that more targeted treatments can be scheduled as necessary.

What Do I Do If I See A Pest?

If you see a pest in your building, please report it via the work order system at Quikfm.vcu.edu. Be as specific as possible when completing the work order, with the location, type of pest, and how many were noticed. Our pest control contractor will respond within 1 business day to inspect the area and treat as needed. If a more intensive treatment is necessary, instructions will be provided on how to properly prepare your living space for treatment, and the treatment will be scheduled to coincide with that preparation.


Residence hall keys are the sole property of VCU and may not be duplicated under any circumstances. Possession of residence hall keys is limited to students with valid housing contracts. Room and mailbox keys are issued directly to the student assigned to a room, and are not transferrable. Roommates cannot pick up keys for one another.

What Do I Do If I’m Locked Out?

If you are locked out of your room during office hours (Monday – Friday, 8am – 6pm), visit your hall’s Housing Office to borrow a key for a maximum of 30 minutes. If you are locked out after hours or on weekends, visit the security desk in your hall, and the security guards will contact the RA on call to meet you in the lobby and escort you to your room to unlock the door. Please note that the first two lockouts after hours are free. The third lockout of the semester results in a charge of $30 being placed on your student account.

What Do I Do If I’ve Lost My Keys?

If you have lost your keys, you may borrow a long-term loaner key for a maximum of 3 days. If you have not found your keys and returned the loaner key by the end of the loan period, your room will be rekeyed, you will be issued a new room key, and your student account will be charged $65 for a room key. If you have also lost your mailbox key, you will be charged an additional $20 for a new mailbox key.

How Often Are HVAC Filters Changed?

HVAC filters are changed at each unit on a quarterly basis. Depending on your building, filter changes may happen during breaks when your building is closed, or they may happen during the semester.

Why Can’t I Switch Between Heat And Air Conditioning?

Rhoads Hall, Cabaniss Hall and Johnson Hall were built with a two-pipe HVAC system, meaning that we can run heat throughout the building, or we can run AC throughout the building, but not both at the same time. We use a chiller in each building to run cold water to each HVAC unit in your space, and the HVAC unit turns the cold water into cold air, producing air conditioning. The same pipes are then used in the winter by the boilers to send hot water to the same HVAC units, which convert the hot water to hot air, producing heat for each room. Because of this system, we cannot run heat and air conditioning at the same time. Facilities Management and RLH staffs pay close attention to the changes that happen with the weather in the Fall and Spring, and using forecasts, determine the best date to switch from one system to the other. We will notify you of this change ahead of time. In Brandt Hall and the Honors College, while the buildings allow for heat and air conditioning simultaneously, it is necessary for the boilers to be taken out of service in the summer and the chiller to be taken out of service in the winter, in order to be more sustainable, and to provide routine maintenance to the systems.

Sustainability In The Residence Halls

VCU recognizes the importance of sustainability for our quality of life today and for future generations, and protecting the limits of natural systems. In April 2008, VCU’s president Emeritus Eugene P. Trani, Ph.D., signed the American College and University Presidents’ Climate Commitment, joining more than 600 college and university presidents in a commitment to neutralize greenhouse gases emitted on their campuses. As a signatory, VCU is working to reduce emissions in all areas of campus life — from educational programs and facilities to dining and residential life — as part of its plan to become climate-neutral by 2050. Read the University’s Statement of Sustainability and see how the University as a whole is working toward its goal at sustainability.vcu.edu.

Within the residence halls, we strive to be more sustainable by taking the following actions within our facilities:

  • Utilization of Single Stream Recycling in all halls, with recycling bins located in each room/suite/apartment in each residence hall.
  • Washing Machines in most halls are front-load HE washers, reducing amount of water used and detergent necessary.
  • All Housekeeping chemicals are “green,” with the exception of disinfectant, which is not available in “green” form.
  • Low flow and motion-sensor-activated fixtures installed in the majority of halls.
  • Water Bottle Filling Stations are installed in all new and renovated residence halls, in place of traditional water fountains.
  • Major donation drives are held at the end of each semester to collect unwanted clothing, appliances, and household items. All items are donated to Goodwill.
  • Donation drives are held at the end of each semester to collect non-perishable food that would otherwise be thrown away. The food is donated to the VCU Ram Pantry
  • New residence halls are built with the certification of LEED Silver, which means, among other things:
    • All water fixtures (toilets, urinals, showers, and bathroom and kitchen sinks) are low flow
    • All washing machines are HE (high efficiency) machines
    • Low-emission paints and coatings are used during the building process
How Can I Be Sustainable In My Residence Hall?
  • Turn off lights when you leave a room. VCU’s biggest hurdle to becoming Climate Neutral is electricity usage.
  • Turn off and unplug appliances when they are not in use. TVs, gaming stations, computers, and small kitchen appliances all use energy even when they are not on.
  • When going home for the weekend, leave your thermostat on 68 degrees in the winter and 76 degrees in the summer, so that the units are not running as hard for an empty room, suite, or apartment.
  • Place work orders for any dripping pipes in your room or apartment.
  • Use the stairs instead of the elevator, especially when going downstairs.