June 4, 2020: Return to Campus Information
Residential Life and Housing is taking the following actions to prepare for the Fall return to campus:
- Reviewing, updating and increasing cleaning protocols in the residence halls.
- Instituting a phased move-in schedule and asking students to sign up for move-in times.
- Providing hand sanitizer and reusable masks to all students.
- Providing hand sanitizer refill stations in all residence halls.
- Closing some common areas to assist with physical distancing guidelines.
- Updating the residence hall programming and floor meeting plans to include virtual options to maintain physical distancing.
- Updating residential access to only allow residents to have access to their assigned residence hall.
- Implementing a no guest policy where residents will not be permitted to host guests inside the residence halls.
We ask our residential students to take an active role in their well-being by doing the following items outlined by VCU on the student responsibility section of the Responsible Together website.
- Monitor your health daily. Testing will occur according to protocols.
- Wear a face covering or mask in common areas.
- Apply physical distancing guidelines in all settings.
- Clean and disinfect personal and shared spaces before and after use. Cleaning supplies will be available in numerous locations.
- Report symptoms associated with COVID-19 to VCU Student Health Services. A call center hotline will be available later in the summer.
As plans continue to be finalized, we will notify students via their VCU email address. Please visit the together.vcu.edu website for additional information about housing operations in response to COVID-19. Residential move-in plans will be shared to all returning and incoming residents later this summer via their VCU email and here on the VCU Housing website.
May 12, 2020: Move-out Information
Please visit our move-out page for more information.
April 21, 2020: Residential Life and Housing Updates
During this stressful time, the University has committed to providing a credit/refund for a portion of on-campus housing costs.
- Students with a 9-month contract will receive a credit of $1,150.
- Students with a 12-month contract will receive a credit of $1,450.
These credits were posted to students' accounts on April 9. For more information on how to receive refunds for any credit balances (overpayments) from student accounting, please visit covid-19.vcu.edu/refunds.
Eligibility for housing credit/refund
Residents who left campus due to COVID-19 are eligible for a housing refund/credit.
Residents who remained on campus, residents who are not originally responsible for room costs or residents who were removed from their housing contract for any reason before this crisis, are not eligible for a refund/credit.
Rationale For The Housing Refund Amount
The determined refund strategy takes into account various fixed costs, including personnel, debt and operations of Residential Life and Housing. As an auxiliary enterprise of the University, on-campus housing operations are required to be self-supporting.
Disinfecting Prior to Residents' Return to Campus
Housekeeping continues to clean and disinfect high touch public areas on a daily basis in all residence halls. In preparing for residence hall move-out we will continue to clean and disinfect high touch public areas. In preparation for the fall 2020 semester, unoccupied residence hall rooms will be cleaned, disinfected and locked. This process will continue when current rooms that are occupied are vacated prior to fall occupancy. Faculty and staff offices and labs will be cleaned and disinfected prior to the return to campus.
Residents of The Honors College
All belongings left in rooms of The Honors College have been inventoried, boxed, labeled and relocated to storage with Richmond Commercial Services. Starting June 11, residents may pick up their belongings. This date is a direct reflection of the stay at home order issued by Governor Northam in an effort to protect the health and safety of the community. Should this date need to be modified, we will communicate an update to Honor's residents via VCU emails.
How to Pick Up Honor's Belongings
Residents will need to schedule a time with Richmond Commercial Services. Their address, phone number and hours are below.
Richmond Commercial Services
3215 Williamsburg Rd., Richmond, VA 23231
Monday - Saturday 8 a.m. - 6 p.m
If an Honor's resident has already collected their belongings, but not returned their key, they will need to mail their room/mailbox key(s) to:
Residential Life and Housing
207 N Laurel St
Richmond, VA 23220-4126
Residents should include a note in the mailer listing their full name, building, and room number. If an Honor's resident has already collected their belongings and has returned their key, then they do not need to do anything further.
Conference and Intern Housing
We will not be hosting Summer Conferences and/or Intern Housing before July 5, 2020. Conference Services is working with groups individually to accommodate their specific needs. If you have questions or need more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. RLH will make a decision about Summer Housing beyond July 5, 2020 by Monday, June 1, 2020.
Summer Session Classes will be remote, therefore we will not be offering housing for the 2020 summer semester.
Broad & Belvidere Contracts
Due to the impact of COVID-19, the Broad & Belvidere Summer 2020 renovation project has been delayed. All non-Gilmer spaces will have a 9-month contract for the 2020-21 academic year.
Residential Mail Services
The Mail Services hours have been limited during this time. For the most up to date information and schedule on mail services, please visit our mail page.
RAM CAMP 2020
In response to COVID-19, Residential Life and Housing is making the tough decision not to move forward with RAM CAMP for Fall 2020. We know this signature experience will be missed as it is well-loved by many students and staff alike. Residential Life and Housing will continue to evaluate and reconsider the opportunity for RAM CAMP to return in 2021.