Housing update for upperclass returning students
Due to an increase in demand for on-campus housing, Residential Life and Housing has currently reached capacity for the upperclass students for 2019-2020 academic year. Currently, there are no on-campus upperclass spaces available. We recognize this situation is disappointing and that students will have to change their housing plans.
Fortunately, there are off-campus housing options available to assist students:
- Visit the off-campus website at offcampus.usca.vcu.edu for housing listings, roommate profiles, comparing properties, rates and other helpful information about living off campus. Students will need to first register as a user.
- Attend a VCU Off-Campus Housing Fair on Thursday, March 14 from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m., in the Commonwealth Ballroom, University Student Commons: Students, parents, faculty, and staff can find out information on available apartments and talk to landlords or property management companies.
- Attend one of the Budget Workshop on March 21, April 2, April 8, April 18, April 24, April 29 from noon - 1 p.m. in the Alumni Boardroom, University Student Commons: These workshops provide students with information on how to create a basic budget, including how to budget for living expenses, savings, pay back debt and incorporate their personal values into the budgeting process.
- Attend one of the Renters Workshop March 21 from 2 - 3 p.m., April 5 from 10 – 11 a.m., April 8 from 11 a.m.– noon, April 16 from 1 – 2 p.m. in the Student Leadership Center, University Student Commons: These workshops will walk students step-by-step through the process of finding and then renting their first apartment. They will learn about deposits, leases, budgets, tenant/landlord rights and much more.
- Schedule a Property Search or Budget Assistance session: For those that need help locating properties, please sign up for an appointment with Lisa Mathews-Ailsworth, Advisor for Off-Campus Students Services
Please keep in mind there is no need to sign a lease in a hurry; there is still time to make an informed decision. Make sure to review the above information, compare properties and be mindful of your needs and expectations when making this important decision.
Some additional on-campus beds may open up due to withdrawals and other special circumstances. If you have a continued interest in on-campus housing, please click this link and complete the Upperclass Housing Interest Form by March 20. Be aware that completing this form does not guarantee housing. We do not anticipate many vacancies, should additional on-campus housing become available, Residential Life and Housing staff will make assignments from the Upperclass Housing Interest list. Assignments will be made based on lottery number. Residential Life and Housing will notify students of assignments via email and phone. Students will have 48 hours to accept an offer. If a student has found housing elsewhere or fails to reply within 48 hours, then the bed will be offered to the next student. On April 1 Residential Life and Housing will email students on the Upperclass Housing Interest list with an update.
We are confident that you will find accommodations that will allow you to succeed next year at VCU. If you have additional questions, please contact Residential Life and Housing at email@example.com, or call (804) 828-7666.