Severe Weather Information
Track Hurricane Florence
As many of you know, Hurricane Florence is slated currently to take a path up the East Coast. There is a chance that this may affect Richmond and may cause very severe weather. In the event that Hurricane Florence does cause severe weather in Richmond, we have included some information that may be useful in protecting you and your belongings. Be sure to check local weather and/or the National Hurricane Center for the latest information on the track of the storm and any warnings for the surrounding areas. Please continue to check the VCU Alert website for additional campus operational updates and alerts.
Prepare for the Storm
- Move all electronics and valuables away from the windows, exterior walls, and off the floors
- Unplug valuable electronics that could be affected by flickering power
- Make sure your windows are closed and latched
- Have towels or a mop handy to take care of any minor leaks you may encounter
- Charge your phone
- The safest place during a hurricane is an interior room without windows
Items to Have on Hand
There are always a few items that can come in handy in case of severe weather. Below is a general list:
- Flashlights and extra batteries (no candles)
- Portable phone charger
- Bottled water
- First aid kit
- Cash (if the power goes out, cards may not work at area stores)
- Non-perishable food
- Non-electric can opener
Loss of Power
Be prepared to deal with a potential loss of power. If the power goes out, we will lose A/C, elevators, lights, and receptacles. Emergency lighting will stay on to guide you to exits in buildings where we have generators. Make sure your phone is charged so you can contact your family and friends as needed. Remember that candles are prohibited in the residence halls; please be prepared with flashlights and extra batteries.
Reporting Problems in your Residence Hall
Check your windows now! If you encounter water leaks, broken windows, or other emergency problems during the storm, call emergency maintenance at (804) 828-9444 (Gladding Residence Center residents call (804) 828-2226). For non-emergency maintenance items, please place a work order at quikfm.vcu.edu (Gladding Residence Center residents: connect.studenthousing.com).
Residence Hall Evacuation Procedures
If for some reason the building needs to be evacuated for residents’ safety, Residential Life and Housing staff will direct them to the proper shelter location.
Residence Hall Mail & Package
Typically, when the University is closed, Mail and Package Centers are also closed. However, we have made arrangements for modified hours for Thursday and Friday. The modified hours are as follows:
Thursday, Sept. 13
- Central Package Center: 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Brandt/Rhoads: 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Gladding Residence Center: 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Cary & Belvidere: 9 - 10:30 a.m. and 1 - 7 p.m.
- Cabaniss: 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Friday, Sept. 14
- Central Package Center: 9 a.m. - Noon
- Brandt/Rhoads: 9 a.m. - Noon
- Gladding Residence Center: 9 a.m. - Noon
- Cary & Belvidere: 9 a.m. - Noon
- Cabaniss: Closed
Saturday, Sept. 15 and Sunday, Sept. 16
- All mail and package centers closed
Shafer Dining Center and Jonah’s will remain open. Dining Services will be updating location and hours on vcu.campusdish.com, so please check this website for the most up-to-date information.
VCU Rec Sports
Please check the Recreational Sports website for the most up-to-date information regarding hours of operation.
The University Student Commons and Activities
Please check the University Student Commons and Activities alert section for for the most up to date information.
RamSafe and GRTC will continue to run bus service unless conditions become dangerous. The Connector will not be in service.
- RamRide (including the Campus Connector) will not be in service from Thursday, Sept. 13 through Sunday, Sept. 16, with the exception of the I Lot shuttle. The I Lot shuttle will run as normal on Thursday, Sept. 13 and Friday, Sept. 14.
- RamSafe will operate daily from 5 p.m. to 8 a.m. In the event inclement weather prevents safe operation, this service will be suspended.
- GRTC currently plans to operate regular weekday service on Thursday and Friday. Service updateswill be posted online throughout the week. VCU and VCU Health System students and employees are encouraged to visit this site for the latest GRTC service impacts.
Residence Hall Programming
Please see your RA for details for programs occurring in the residence halls throughout the weekend.
Please continue to check the VCU Alert page for additional campus operational updates and alerts.